Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Home

Too busy this time of year to think up anything original.
Returning home:
The first night I hear the frogs outside of my window.
(I don't hear them in NYC, just the mourning dove that nests in our courtyard.)
Little frogs, hundreds of them, loud.
I wake to walk into the wetland, to hear a duck quack.
Other days I see two duck lovers in the air.
Other days a red-tailed hawk zips across the canopy of the dead poles mounted in the murky water.
One morning, all of a sudden, the skunk cabbages all turn bright green!
Hundreds of them emerge to greet the sun!




I recently purchased binoculars for the first time. I looked through them, and this is what I saw:


BIRDING @ wetlands, Schenectady County, New York

Sat April 16, 6:30-7AM

Mallard Duck (male)

Blue Jay

Black-capped Chickadee

American Robin

American Crow

Sun April 17, 1-1:30PM

Red-tailed Hawk

Black-capped Chickadee

American Robin

Mourning Dove

Downy Woodpecker

Mon April 18, 11:30AM-12PM

Red-tailed Hawk

American Robin

Downy Woodpecker (male and female)

Blue Jay

Wed April 20, 12:30-1PM

Downy Woodpeckers

Ducks (at a distance)

Tufted Titmouse (lots of them!)

Fri April 22, 3:30-4PM

Downy Woodpeckers (male and female)

Red-tailed Hawk

Ducks (at a distance)

Mr. Mallard hanging out at my home






Me, binoculars, a camera, and the wetlands at home. What could be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment